Water Borne Adhesive Market Outlook 2031:
The global waterborne adhesive market size was valued at USD 19.11 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 31.47 Billion by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of 5.7% during the forecast period 2023 - 2031. The growth of the market is attributed to the effective combination of fast, heat resistant bonding, high ultimate strength, and repositionability of the waterborne adhesives.
A waterborne adhesive contains soluble and natural synthetic polymers. Hides, bones, casein, starch, proteins, and dextrin comprise natural polymers. Waterborne adhesives are given in the form of formulated powders, which come either in solution or powder form.
Waterborne adhesives are mainly compounded with water as a diluent rather than volatile organic solvent, and they are considered as low volatile organic compounds (VOC) adhesives. The structure obtains strength after the water is absorbed by the substrate or is evaporated. These adhesives offer low solvent content, high initial adhesion, high solid content, and are environment friendly.
Waterborne adhesive consists of carrier fluid and additives to reduce its viscosity, which can be applied to substance efficiently at varying thickness. Water-based adhesive is developed either from natural polymers derived from vegetable sources, protein sources, and animal or soluble synthetic polymers, which includes cellulose ethers, methylcellulose, carboxymethylcellulose, and polyvinylpyrrolidone.
These adhesives contain soluble synthetic polymers, such as methyl cellulose, cellulose ethers, carboxy methylcellulose. Natural polymers such as proteins, starch, and casein are also used in various industry verticals.
Water Borne Adhesive Market Trends, Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities
- Increasing demand for waterborne adhesives the packaging industry is one of the major factors that is driving the market growth during the forecast period.
- Introduction of bio-based polyol components in waterborne adhesives is anticipated to propel the market expansion in the coming years.
- Governmental regulations limiting the VOC emissions are supporting the demand for the waterborne products, spurring the market growth.
- Growing preference for environmental-friendly products owing to increasing consumer awareness regarding use of VOCs is positively influencing the growth of the market.
- Waterborne adhesives offer high performance in term of efficiency and durability over the existing products, which is the key factor driving the market growth.
- Various useful properties such as flexibility and economic efficiency extended by waterborne adhesives are anticipated to boost the market expansion in the projected timeline.
- Polymers of waterborne adhesives find applications in construction, PSA labels, and carpet backing, which are anticipated to propel the market growth.
- The formulation of the waterborne adhesives is very complex as compared to that of solvent borne adhesives, which in turn, can hinder the market growth.
- Limited usage in high-end applications is anticipated to restrict the market growth in the coming years.
- Increasing R&D investment and ongoing technological advancements in the waterborne adhesives and production process are expected to create immense opportunities for the market players.
Scope of the Water Borne Adhesive Market Report
The report on the global water borne adhesive market includes an assessment of the market, trends, segments, and regional markets. Overview and dynamics have also been included in the report.
Water Borne Adhesive Market - Global Industry Analysis, Growth, Share, Size, Trends, and Forecast
Resin Types (Acrylics, Polyvinyl Acetate Emulsion, Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Emulsion, Polyurethane Dispersions & Chloroprene Rubber Latex, and Others), End-user Industries (Building & Construction, Paper, Board & Packaging, Woodworking & Joinery, Transportation, Healthcare, Electrical & Electronics, and Others)
Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
Company Share, Market Analysis and Size, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends, and Revenue Forecast
Key Players Covered in the Report
3M, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, H.B. Fuller Company., Sika AG, and Arkema.
Water Borne Adhesive Market Segment Insights
Acrylics segment to account a large market share
On the basis of resin types, the market is segmented into acrylics, polyvinyl acetate emulsion, ethylene vinyl acetate emulsion, polyurethane dispersions & chloroprene rubber latex, and others. The acrylics segment is expected to hold a key market share during the forecast period due to extensive utilization in automobile, metal anticorrosion, and furniture industries. Moreover, acrylic waterborne adhesives are used in coatings, bridges, ships, and locomotives, driving the market growth.
Building & construction segment to grow at a rapid pace
In term of end-user industries, the market is divided into building & construction, paper, board & packaging, woodworking & joinery, transportation, healthcare, electrical & electronics, and others.
The building & construction segment is expected to expand at robust pace during the forecast period. Borne adhesives are used in concrete, ceramic tiles, carpet laying, flooring underlayment, drywall lamination, joint cement, manufactured housing, pre-finished panels, resilient flooring, roofing, and wall covering.
The rapid development in the green building construction coupled with the rising concern about the quality of construction is spurring the demand for waterborne adhesives. Waterborne adhesives are increasingly becoming an integral part of construction chemicals owing to their eco-friendly and low-toxic nature, high solid content, and high initial adhesion properties.
Asia Pacific to dominate the market
On the basis of regions, the market is categorized as Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period. The regional market growth can be attributed to shifting consumer focus toward flexible packaging.
China is the one of the leading consumers of waterborne adhesives, followed by India. The rapidly increasing packaging industry in China is anticipated to boost the demand for waterborne adhesives.
The global water borne adhesive market has been segmented on the basis of
- Polyvinyl Acetate Emulsion
- Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Emulsion
- Polyurethane Dispersions & Chloroprene Rubber Latex
- Building & Construction, Paper
- Board & Packaging
- Woodworking & Joinery
- Electrical & Electronics
- Asia Pacific
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Key players competing in the water borne adhesive market include 3M, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, H.B. Fuller Company., Sika AG, and Arkema.