Global Pharmaceutical Gelatin Market Outlook 2031:
The global pharmaceutical gelatin market size was valued at USD 1.33 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 2.12 Billion by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of 5.3% during the forecast period 2023 - 2031. The growth of the market is attributed to rising need for gelatin capsules, due to increasing chronic illnesses, growing ageing population worldwide, rising developments, and changing trends in the healthcare and the pharmaceutical industry.
Pharmaceutical gelatin is delicate, translucent, colorless, and water-soluble food element with a high molecular weight, which is extracted from white connective tissues, skin, and bones of animals, by partial hydrolysis of collagen.
Gelatin is used in a variety of pharmaceutical applications, as it is safe and absorbable. Gelatin coating on hard capsules, soft gel capsules, and tablets hide the odor of the medicine and make swallowing easy. Gelatin is a high-protein food that is used as a plasma substitute.
Additionally, it is utilized as a suspending agent (helps maintain pharmaceutical suspensions stable) and in the production of capsules. Increased prevalence of COVID-19 fueled the demand for gelatin from the pharmaceutical industry all around the world. One of the primary factors that is expected to drive the market is the increasing use of gelatin in the food and beverage industry.
Pharmaceutical Gelatin Market Trends, Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities:
- Growing demand for edible gelatin and its unique characteristics such as binding, gelling, coating, film-building, and adhesion in a variety of sectors around the world are anticipated to drive the global pharmaceutical gelatin market in the forecast period.
- Increasing R&D and technological advancements in the manufacture of cost-effective gelatin products are estimated to fuel the market in the coming years.
- Rising nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries that use gelatin to manufacture drugs are projected to boost the market during the forecast period.
- Rising awareness regarding the importance of eating nutritious foods and increasing aging population across the globe are factors pushing the market expansion in the coming years.
- High price of gelatin, which is heavily used in the outer covering of capsules, and the availability of substitute components are expected to hamper the market growth.
- Rising demand for plant-based pharmaceutical goods, due to increasing vegan population, and associated modifications in product portfolios by capsule producers are projected to hamper the market expansion.
- Growing need for pharmaceutical-grade gelatin in the emerging economy is estimated to create immense opportunities for the market players.
Scope of Pharmaceutical Gelatin Market Report
The report on the global pharmaceutical gelatin market includes an assessment of the market, trends, segments, and regional markets. Overview and dynamics have also been included in the report.
||Pharmaceutical Gelatin Market - Global Industry Analysis, Growth, Share, Size, Trends, and Forecast
||2016 – 2021
||By Types ( Type A and Type B), By Sources ( Bovine bone, Porcine, Poultry, Bovine skin, Marine), By Applications (Tablets, Hard Capsules, Absorbable Hemostats, Soft Capsules, and Others), and By Functions ( Thickening agents, Stabilizing agents, Gelling agents, and Others)
||Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
||Company Share, Market Analysis and Size, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, Market Trends, and Revenue Forecast
|Key Players Covered in the Report
||Nitta Gelatin Inc. (Japan), Darling Ingredients Inc. (US), Gelita AG (Germany), Tessenderlo Group (Belgium), Weishardt (France), India Gelatine & Chemicals Ltd. (India), Trobas Gelatine B.V. (Netherlands), Xiamen Gelken Gelatin Co. Ltd. (China), Lapi Gelatine S.p.A (Italy), Italgelatine S.p.A (Italy), Gelco International (Brazil), Aspire Pharmaceuticals. (US), and Gelnex Industria E Comercio Ltda (Brazil).
Global Pharmaceutical Gelatin Market Segment Insights
Based on types, the market is divided into type A and type B. In the pharmaceutical gelatin market, the type B segment holds the highest share, due to increased preference for bovine bone for the manufacture of pharmaceutical gelatin and the cultural acceptance of bovine sources.
In terms of sources, the global pharmaceutical gelatin market is segregated into bovine bone, porcine, poultry, bovine skin, and marine. The porcine segment is expected to increase at a rapid rate. Rise of this segment is being fueled by factors such as its wide range of uses in the pharmaceutical industry, absorbable hemostats, and other biomedical applications, as well as low production costs and short manufacturing cycle.
On the basis applications, the market is segmented into tablets, hard capsules, absorbable hemostats, soft capsules, and others. The soft capsules segment is projected to represent a key share of the market during the forecast period, due to its benefits of being a patient-friendly dosage form with the potential to be formulated correctly for rapid or slow-release and a high degree of repeatability.
In terms of functions, the market is segregated into thickening agents, stabilizing agents, gelling agents, and others. The thickening agents’ segment is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period, due to its excessive use in medicinal syrups, elixirs, and other liquid dose forms.
Based on regions, the global primary cells market is classified as Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. During the forecast period, the market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a significant CAGR. Key players are investing in this region, due to easy availability of porcine and bovine sources of raw material and low cost of labor and capital investment.
- Bovine bone
- Bovine skin
- Hard Capsules
- Absorbable Hemostats
- Soft Capsules
- Thickening agents
- Stabilizing agents
- Gelling agents
- Asia Pacific
- North America
- Europe, Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
By Key Players
- Nitta Gelatin Inc. (Japan)
- Darling Ingredients Inc. (US)
- Gelita AG (Germany)
- Tessenderlo Group (Belgium)
- Weishardt (France)
- India Gelatine & Chemicals Ltd. (India)
- Trobas Gelatine B.V. (Netherlands)
- Xiamen Gelken Gelatin Co. Ltd. (China)
- Lapi Gelatine S.p.A (Italy)
- Italgelatine S.p.A (Italy)
- Gelco International (Brazil)
- Aspire Pharmaceuticals. (US)
- Gelnex Industria E Comercio Ltda (Brazil)
Major players in the global pharmaceutical gelatin market include Nitta Gelatin Inc. (Japan), Darling Ingredients Inc. (US), Gelita AG (Germany), Tessenderlo Group (Belgium), Weishardt (France), India Gelatine & Chemicals Ltd. (India), Trobas Gelatine B.V. (Netherlands), Xiamen Gelken Gelatin Co. Ltd. (China), Lapi Gelatine S.p.A (Italy), Italgelatine S.p.A (Italy), Gelco International (Brazil), Aspire Pharmaceuticals. (US), and Gelnex Industria E Comercio Ltda (Brazil).