The global dengue treatment market was valued at US$ 296 Million in 2019 and is projected to reach US$ 727 Million by 2027 expanding at a CAGR of 13.3 % during the forecast period, 2021-2027. Dengue is the most rapidly spreading mosquito-borne viral disease in the world. Dengue fever, also known as break-bone fever, leads to severe flu. Dengue is caused by an RNA virus of mosquitos that belong to the Flaviviridae family and several other species of mosquitos such as Aedes. Symptoms of dengue include fever, headache vomiting, muscle, joint pain, and characteristic skin rash. The patient recovers from dengue within seven days; however, in some cases, it can develop into life-threatening dengue hemorrhagic fever. The global dengue treatment market is anticipated grow due to the rise in the burden of dengue in tropical and subtropical regions. Increase in government funding to fight against dengue and unmet market needs of managing this burden globally boosts the dengue treatment market.
The market is driven by factors such as growing awareness about prevention and control of dengue, robust promising pipeline of manufacturers for dengue treatment, increasing prevalence of dengue. However, stringent government regulations regarding drug approval, and lack of government facilities and skilled medical professionals in under developed countries are the factors expected to hamper the market growth. Whereas, rising R&D investment and activities is expected to create lucrative opportunities in the market.
On the basis of type, the global dengue treatment market is bifurcated into drug and vaccine. The drug segment is expected to holds a major share of the market, in terms of volume, due to easy availability and low cost prices. The vaccine segment is estimated to at a significant CAGR of around 35.3% during the forecast period.
Based on route of administration the global dengue treatment market is classified into oral, and parenteral. The parenteral segment is projected to hold a major share of the market due to their high cost and wide adoption, as patients need instant recovery from the dengue virus. This, in turn, increases the demand for the vaccine using parenteral route of the administration during the forecast period.
In terms of region the market has been fragmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific is a promising region for the market. It constituted around half of the market in terms of share in 2019. The market in the region is projected to expand at a CAGR of 14.0 % during the forecast period. The demand for dengue treatment is expected to rise due to the rapid increase in prevalence of dengue in the region during the forecast period.
- Key players in the market include Sanofi, and Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. These companies are considered as key manufacturers of dengue treatment based on their revenue, research development (R&D) activities, product offerings, regional presence, and supply chain management system.
- The players are adopting key strategies such as acquisition, collaborations, and geographical expansion where potential opportunity for the dengue treatment extraction is added in the company’s capacity.
- For instance, in February 2020, Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. announced that its subsidary Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies is further accelerating its investigational coronavirus vaccine program by collaborating with the Biomedical Advanced Research & Development Authority (BARDA), a part of the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) at the US Department of Health & Human Services.
- In December 2018, Merck & Co., Inc., and Instituto Butantan, a non-profit producer of immunobiologic products for Brazil entered into a collaborative agreement to develop vaccines to protect against dengue virus disease, the mosquito-borne infection. Instituto Butantan and Merck & Co., Inc. have licensed certain rights from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S National Institutes of Health (NIH), for the development of live attenuated tetravalent vaccines (LATVs).
Key Benefits for Industry Participants & Stakeholders
- In-depth Analysis of the Global Dengue Treatment Market
- Historical, Current and Projected Market Size in terms of Value and Volume
- Potential & Niche Segments and Regions Exhibiting Promising Growth Covered
- Industry Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities Covered in the Study
- Recent Industry Trends and Developments
- Competitive Landscape & Strategies of Key Players
- Neutral Perspective on Global Dengue Treatment Market Performance