The global technology CAD software market size was valued at USD 155 million in 2020 and is anticipated to expand at a substantial CAGR during the forecast period, 2021 – 2028. The market growth can be attributed to rising use of technology CAD software to make technology computer-aided design and improve the efficiency of process modules. Factors such as shorten the time taken to create experimental cycles, enhances yield and robustness, and capture and analyze the effect of process variation on system efficiency are key drivers for fueling the market.
Technology computer-aided design (TCAD) is a simulation software for designing and optimizing semiconductor processing technologies and products. System simulation and process simulation are two main functions of TCAD. The program accomplishes tasks by collecting descriptions of the transistor configuration, device nature, and silicon fabrication process. TCAD revamps wafer yield by using model-based simulation. Furthermore, it is used by semiconductor and integrated circuit (IC) manufacturers to reduce the time spent on testing wafer runs while designing devices. Technology CAD improves the efficiency of process modules and shortens the time it takes to create experimental cycles.
Market Trends, Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities
- The demand for chips and systems with benefits such as improved functionality, reduced size, and efficiency, and low power consumption has increased, due to the growing demand for electronic goods. The design of these chips and systems is highly complex, necessitating cutting-edge design solutions. This, in turn, is expected to drive the demand for technology computer-aided design in various applications.
- Technology computer-aided design improves the efficiency of process modules and shortens the time it takes to create experimental cycles. Additionally, it boosts yield and robustness and captures & analyzes the effects of process variation on system efficiency. These factors are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Rising recognition and acceptance of smart fitness devices are prompting electronic design companies to engage in creative design software tools for developing enhanced and lightweight products, thus driving the demand for technology CAD software.
- Technological advances and increasing acceptance of advanced electronics components in the healthcare industry is creating opportunities in the market.
- Growth in the use of digital devices, such as computer-controlled medical equipment, manufacturers of equipment are required to use TCAD software to design the requisite MCMs and PCBs, thus creating opportunities in the market in the coming years.
- Increasing use of TCAD software for developing electronic devices in augmented reality (AR), the Internet of things (IoT), aerospace & defense, virtual reality (VR), machine learning, and autonomous vehicle subsystems, and other applications, is expected to create opportunities in the market.
Scope of the Report
The report on the global technology CAD software market includes an assessment of the market, trends, segments, and regional markets. Overview and dynamics have also been included in the report.
Technology CAD Software Market - Global Industry Analysis, Growth, Share, Size, Trends, and Forecast
Application Types (CMOS, Image Sensors, Solar Cells, and Analog/RF Sensors)
Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
Company Share, Market Analysis and Size, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends, and Revenue Forecast
Key Players Covered in the Report
Synopsys Inc; Silvaco Inc; Cogenda Pte Ltd; Crosslight Software Inc; Global TCAD Solutions (GTS) GmbH; and NTT Data Mathematical Systems, Inc.
Technology CAD Software Market Segment Insights
CMOS segment to hold a key market share
Based on application types, the global technology CAD software market is divided into CMOS, image sensors, solar cells, and analog/RF sensors. The solar cells segment accounts for a key share of the market; however, the CMOS segment is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period. In 2020, the solar cells segment dominated the market, accounting for over 31.0% of total revenue due to the rising use of solar cells in electric cars, energy generation, and solar-powered vehicles. Furthermore, increasing demand for renewable energy sources, owing to their environmental benefits fuels the need for solar cells, resulting in substantial growth opportunities. The CMOS segment is projected to expand at a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period. Microprocessors, microcontrollers, and digital cameras use CMOS, which stands for complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor. Increasing use of microprocessors and controllers in smartcard applications, automatic controls, sensing applications, and other smart devices, and evolving processor dynamics, in terms of processing power and size, is expected to drive then need for microprocessors and microcontrollers, thus fueling the segment.
Market in Asia Pacific to expand at a rapid pace
In terms of regions, the market is classified as Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the global technology computer-aided design market in 2020, accounting for over 41.6% of total sales due to the presence of numerous technology companies in the region, including computer-aided design software providers and semiconductor manufacturers. Additionally, the market in the region is expected to expand at a 9.0% CAGR during the forecast period due to the continuous introduction of autonomous, wired, and smart vehicles, and infrastructure development to support connected vehicles. The technology computer-aided design software market in Asia Pacific was valued at more than USD 50.0 million in 2019 and is expected to grow to surpass USD 110.0 million by 2027 due to the growing number of electronics manufacturing companies in the region, especially in China and rapid adoption of TCAD software.
Segments Covered in the Report
The global technology CAD software market has been segmented on the basis of
- Image Sensors
- Solar Cells
- Analog/ RF Sensors
- Asia Pacific
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Major players in the market are Synopsys, Inc., Crosslight Software Inc., Silvaco Inc., Global TCAD Solutions (GTS) GmbH, Cogenda Pte Ltd., and NTT DataMathematical Systems, Inc. The market is consolidated, with fierce competition. Additionally, businesses have used numerous inorganic growth techniques in the recent past, such as acquisitions and mergers, alliances, and collaboration to increase their presence and market share.
In June 2020, Synopsys, Inc. announced that it extended its academic relationship and signed a contract with EPFL, the Lausanne-based Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, to license new digital synthesis technologies.
In March 2020, Silvaco, Inc. collaborate with NXP Semiconductors N.V., a semiconductor manufacturer, to develop a next-generation MIPI I3C semiconductor intellectual property. As a part of this agreement, Silvaco is likely to develop a new generation of state-of-the-art MIPI V1.1 reference implementation intellectual property core directly available to its clients.
In June 2020, Synopsys, Inc. announced an extension of its academic partnership with EPFL, the Lausanne-based Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, and a contract for licensing new digital synthesis technologies. The company has been designing a digitally triggered circuit design flow for Superconducting Electronics in partnership with Yokohama National University and the University of Rochester (SCE).