Global In-Display Fingerprint Sensor Market Outlook 2031:
The global in-display fingerprint sensor market size was valued at USD 1.62 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 10.83 Billion by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of 23.5% during the forecast period 2023 - 2031. In terms of volume global in-display fingerprint sensor was valued at 2,05,518 thousand units in 2019 and it is expanding at CAGR of 28.5% during the forecast timeline. Fingerprint recognition is one of the most common biometric techniques in today's market.
Recent smartphones, for example, typically take fingerprint sensors for biometric identification methods. Several methods are employed for detecting fingerprints, such as optical methods, capacitive methods, and ultrasonic methods. The capacitive method is the optimal solution for smartphone and IoT applications due to the low power consumption and compact size of capacitive fingerprint sensors, as they are low-cost and have a small in size.
However, most of the previous sensor suffered from a problem of unsteady sensitivity under variable finger conditions (dry finger and wet finger) and a noisy atmosphere that significantly degrades the scanner. Several ideas were proposed to improve image quality by using a local threshold level, adding compensation capacitors, using the suppression of voltage drop, or applying an efficient isolation system.
In-Display Fingerprint Sensor Market Dynamics
The demand for In-Display Fingerprint Sensors is rising as they are increasing use of in-display fingerprint sensors in smartphones and tablet PCs. Rising disposable income of people has increased the ability to afford expensive sensors- based smartphones.
Conversely, High cost of a few display fingerprint sensors and availability of alternatives are expected to restrain the growth of market. Growth in application of capacitive sensors in mobile phones and rising government initiatives toward local manufacturing are creating lucrative opportunities in the market.
In-Display Fingerprint Sensor Market Segmental Insights
On the basis of technology, in-display fingerprint sensors market is segregated into the optical in-display fingerprint sensors, capacitive in-display fingerprint sensors, and ultrasonic in-display fingerprint sensors. The demand for capacitive in-display fingerprint sensors is high, as these are widely used in the latest smartphones due to their compact size and low cost.
In terms of applications, the smartphone segment is expected to grow at a considerable pace, as manufacturers are focusing on reducing the bezels around the screen. Fingerprint sensors are used to unlock smartphones and provide access to confidential personal information. Most smartphone manufacturers are integrating these sensors in their displays, as the technology is very distinct from the conventional sensor.
By Product Type
Optical Fingerprint Sensors
Optical fingerprint sensors are used to compare and capture fingerprint. Optical fingerprint sensors depend on capturing a picture, an optical image, and the use of algorithms to identify specific patterns on the surface, such as specific lines, by examining the darkest and brightest areas of the image.
Unlike smartphone cameras, these sensors can have a higher resolution and finite resolution, which helps provide better information to the sensor enabling it to scan the finger and improve protection.
Moreover, these sensors record a much higher contrast image than a standard camera. A big downside with optical scanners is that they are not difficult to fool. Since technology only captures a 2D image, prosthetics and even other images of high quality can be used to trick this particular design. This type of scanner is not safe or trustworthy, for protecting sensitive information; therefore, it has been phased.
Capacitive Fingerprint Sensors
Capacitive fingerprint sensors record fingerprint images by analyzing the difference in capacitance through fingerprint sensors, valleys, and ridges. A capacitive fingerprint sensor comprises a capacitive pixel array, controller, and read circuit. The capacitive pixel array interfaces and captures the fingerprint data and determines the sensor resolution by setting the pitch and cell size.
The read circuit uses one of the following methods to transform the capacitance: capacitance-to- voltage, capacitance-to-pulse length, or capacitance-to-frequency. Many read circuits are fitted with an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) to convert the sensing values to digital data to enable the controller to perform post-processing on the data.
The capacitors enable the electrical charge to be stored by connecting to conductive plates on the surface of the scanner, which allows the fingerprint details to be tracked. The result of these sensors is non-replicable with any image and difficult to replicate using prosthetics, as different materials record different changes in charge at the capacitor. Thus, such scanners provide superior safety, are fast, and difficult to be fooled.
By Sales Channel
Based on sales channels, the in-display fingerprint sensor market is classified as manufacturer/distributor/service providers and aftermarket. Most manufacturers of in-display fingerprint sensors are present in Asia Pacific.
The aftermarket for these sensors is limited, as aftermarket vendors are approached if there is an issue with a sensor, which leads to repair or replacement of the sensor.
Manufacturers supply the goods to the distribution centers. Manufacturers use raw materials and employ labor to manufacture finished products. A majority of the in-display fingerprint sensors are manufactured by Synaptics Incorporated and Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co., Ltd. These manufacturers supply in-display fingerprint sensors to the key players operating in the smartphones and tablet industries.
Rise in the demand for in-display fingerprint sensor enabled smartphones and tablets is fueling the growth of the aftermarket segment. A sensor is bought from the aftermarket if it needs to repaired and replaced. A screen protector is used to protect the display and extend its life.
On the basis of regions, the market in Asia Pacific is growing at a high pace and is projected to continue to do so during the forecast period. Market growth is mainly driven by the rapidly growing number of smartphone users across the country.
In 2018, the total penetration of smartphones in Asia Pacific was the largest. Moreover, Internet penetration across the entire population is increasing for smartphones. High demand for smartphones is anticipated to fuel the growth of in-display fingerprint sensors worldwide.
Asia Pacific, is followed by North America, in terms of market share. The market in the region is estimated to expand at a considerable CAGR due to the high demand for smartphone with latest technology. This is expected to drive the growth of the in-display fingerprint sensors market in the region.
Key Benefits for Industry Participants & Stakeholders
- In-depth Analysis of the Global In-Display Fingerprint Sensor Market
- Historical, Current and Projected Market Size in terms of Value
- Potential & Niche Segments and Regions Exhibiting Promising Growth Covered
- Industry Drivers, Restraints and Opportunities Covered in the Study
- Recent Industry Trends and Developments
- Competitive Landscape & Strategies of Key Players
- Neutral Perspective on Global In-Display Fingerprint Sensor Market Performance
- Optical In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
- 2-Ultrasonic In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
- Capacitive In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
- Tablet PC
By Sales Channel
- Manufacturer/Distributor/Service Provider
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific (APAC)
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Market Players Profiled in the Report
- Duntai Electronics Co., Ltd. (FocalTech)
- Egis Technology Inc.
- Fingerprint Cards AB
- Japan Display Inc.
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
- Shanghai Sili Microelectronics Technology Co., Ltd. (Silead)
- Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co., Ltd.
- Synaptics Incorporated
- Key players in the global in-display fingerprint sensor market includes Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co., Ltd., Synaptics Incorporated, Japan Display Inc., Fingerprint Cards AB, and Duntai Electronics Co., Ltd. (FocalTech). These companies are considered as key manufacturers of In-Display Fingerprint Sensor, based on their revenue, research & development activities, regional presence, and supply chain management system.
- The players are adopting key strategies such as acquisition, and geographical expansion where potential opportunity for the In-Display Fingerprint Sensor extraction is added in the company’s capacity.
- In November 2019, Fingerprint Cards AB announced that its technology has been integrated into 400 different smartphone models. The company is also looking forward to rise the adaption of biometric technologies to better the experience of the user by replacing passwords and pins from smartphones.
- In August 2019, Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co., Ltd. made an agreement with NXP Semiconductors N.V. which is the Netherland based company. In this agreement Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co., Ltd. has decided to acquire all the assets of Voice and Audio Solutions (VAS) business segment from NXP Semiconductors N.V.