The global hematopoietic stem cell transplantations market is anticipated to expand at substantial CAGR during the forecast period, between 2021 and 2028. Increase in research and patent filings by market participants is expected to drive the market.
Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is a procedure that involves the transplantation of multi-potent hematopoietic stem cells derived from peripheral blood cells, bone marrow, or umbilical cord blood into a patient. Hematopoietic stem cells can develop into mature blood cells such as platelets, white blood cells, and red blood cells. These cells are used to rebuild or replace a patient's hematopoietic system in the treatment of malignant and non-malignant diseases. This is referred to as a stem cell transplant or a bone marrow transplant.
Market Trends, Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities
- Rising prevalence for myeloid leukemia and lymphoma along with the increasing number of the ageing population globally is a key driver expected to propel the market in the coming years.
- Wide availability of technologically advanced equipment and growing demand for personalized medicine are the primary factors driving the market.
- Side effects associated with the transplantation on organs and other parts of the body such as the gastrointestinal tract, mouth, heart, and lungs are key challenges expected to impede the market growth during the forecast period.
- High cost of transplantation and lack of funding from organizations such as the Worldwide Network for Blood and Marrow Transplantation are expected to restrain the market during the forecast period.
- Ongoing massive R&D programs to develop innovative transplantation devices for stem cells by key players present key growth opportunities of the market in the long run.
Scope of the report
The report on the global hematopoietic stem cell transplantations market includes an assessment of the market, size, share, trends, segments, and regional markets. Overview and dynamics have been included in the report.
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Market - Global Industry Analysis, Growth, Share, Size, Trends, and Forecast
2018 & 2019
Transplant Types (Allogeneic and Autologous), Indications (Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, Hodgkin lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, and Other Non-malignant Disorders), Applications (Bone Marrow Transplant, Peripheral Blood Stem Cells Transplant, and Cord Blood Transplant)
Asia Pacific, North America, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
Market Scope, Analysis, Share, Competitive Analysis, Growth Facts, Restraints, Opportunities, and Revenue Forecast
Key Players Covered
Pluristem Therapeutics Inc.; CellGenix GmbH; RegenBiopharma Inc.; Lonza Group, KiadisPharma; Taiga Biotechnologies, Inc.; Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited; Escape Therapeutics, Inc.; Bluebird Bio; and Talaris Therapeutics, Inc.
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantations Market Segment Insights
Autologous segment to hold large market share
On the basis of transplant types, the global hematopoietic stem cell transplantation market is bifurcated into allogeneic and autologous. The autologous segment is expected to hold significant share of the global market in the coming years owing to rising number of vendors in the market for the transplant types. A large number of players are likely to concentrate on capturing business opportunities in this segment due to high demand for the types of transplant.
Acute myeloid leukemia segment to grow rapidly
In terms of indications, the market is segmented into acute myeloid leukemia (AML), acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), Hodgkin lymphoma (HL), non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), multiple myeloma (MM), and other non-malignant disorders. The AML segment is projected to grow rapidly during the forecast period due to high prevalence of Leukemia as it is a type of cancer that affects the body's blood-forming tissues, bone marrow, and lymphatic system. Moreover, these types of leukemia are common in children.
Bone marrow transplant segment to account for significant market share
Based on applications, the global hematopoietic stem cell transplantation market is segregated into bone marrow transplant (BMT), peripheral blood stem cells transplant (PBCT), and cord blood transplant (CBT). The BMT segment is anticipated to hold major share of the market in the coming years owing to high demand for bone marrow transplant due to rising number of patients suffering from such type of disease globally.
North America to dominate the market
In terms of regions, the market is split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America held a key share of the global market in 2020 and is likely to dominate the market during the projected period due to the presence of a large number of ageing population as well as widespread prevalence of several chronic illness especially cancer. Moreover, the availability of cutting-edge technology and growing demand for personalized medicine are primary factors driving the market growth in the region.
By Transplant Types
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML)
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)
- Hodgkin Lymphoma (HL)
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL)
- Multiple Myeloma (MM)
- Other Non-malignant Disorders
- Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT)
- Peripheral Blood Stem Cells Transplant (PBSCT)
- Cord Blood Transplant (CBT)
By Key Players
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- Pluristem Therapeutics Inc.
- CellGenix GmbH
- RegenBiopharma Inc.
- Lonza Group
- Taiga Biotechnologies, Inc.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Escape Therapeutics, Inc.
- Bluebird Bio
- Talaris Therapeutics, Inc.
Key players in the global hematopoietic stem cell transplantations market are Pluristem Therapeutics Inc.; CellGenix GmbH; RegenBiopharma Inc.; Lonza Group, KiadisPharma; Taiga Biotechnologies, Inc.; Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited; Escape Therapeutics, Inc.; Bluebird Bio; and Talaris Therapeutics, Inc. These players engage in mergers & acquisitions, collaborations, agreements, and partnerships to strengthen their geographical presence.