GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market Outlook 2031
The global GLP-1 receptor agonist market size was valued at USD 13.50 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach USD 23 billion by 2031 expand at a CAGR 6.1% during the forecast period, 2023–2031. The growth of the market is attributed to the advanced development of GLP-1 receptor agonist and upcoming products for launches.
Incretin mimetics, commonly known as GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines, are a kind of incretin-based drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. The type of medicine is based on function of hormones called incretins, which helps regulate how the pancreas function.
Incretin mimetics, commonly known as GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines, are a kind of incretin-based drug used to treat type 2 diabetes. The type of medicine is based on function of hormones called incretins, which helps regulate how the pancreas function. GLP-1, a form of incretin, encourages your pancreas to create more insulin after you eat, which helps keep blood glucose levels within acceptable limits.
Exanatide, dulaglutide, lixisenatide, and liraglutide are drugs that mimic or replicate the effects of GLP-1 produced by your body. GLP-1's effects last just a few minutes, however GLP-1 receptor agonists can endure for hours or even days. GLP-1 receptor agonists are liquids that are injected under the skin of the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm. You can inject it once or twice daily, or once a week, depending on the drug you are using. GLP-1 receptor agonists can be used on their own or in combination with other diabetic medications.
GLP-1 receptor agonists are particularly efficient at decreasing blood sugar levels after meals and throughout fasting periods. They are unlikely to produce low blood sugar, unlike several type 2 diabetes drugs (hypoglycemia). Some GLP-1 RAs have also been proven to help heart health and kidney function in persons with diabetes, while further study is needed.
Treatment with Ozempic, Trulicity, Rybelsus, or Victoza, for example, has been related to a considerable reduction in serious cardiac issues, such as heart attacks, among persons with diabetes and existing heart disease, according to study. Persons who took particular GLP-1 RAs had better renal outcomes than people who took a placebo, according to studies.
GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market Trends, Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities
- Increasing Prevalence of diabetes and obesity due changing lifestyle and many other factors like genetic mutations is projected to boost the market growth during the forecast period.
- Growing number of product innovation like new formulations, improved bioavailability, use of combination therapies, and route of administration is expected to drive the market growth during the forecast period.
- Increasing number of product approval is anticipated to push the market expansion during the forecast period.
- Increasing geriatric population in developed countries such as US and Japan is expected to drive the market growth in the forecast period.
- Some products associated with risks and limitations such as renal impairment, pancreatitis, diabetic ketoacidosis is anticipated to hamper the market growth.
- Some products not recommended to patients having a medical history of medullary thyroid carcinoma, multiple endocrine neoplasia syndrome type 2, or serious hypersensitivity to the medication is also expected to restrict the market growth.
- Adoption of emerging technologies, improvement in healthcare infrastructure and increasing product innovations are projected to offer lucrative opportunities for the market player.
Scope of The GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market Report
The report on the global GLP-1 receptor agonist market includes an assessment of the market, trends, segments, and regional markets. Overview and dynamics have also been included in the report.
GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market - Global Industry Analysis, Growth, Share, Size, Trends, and Forecast
Product (Victoza, Ozempic, Trulicity, Bydureon, Saxenda, and Others)
Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
Company Share, Market Analysis and Size, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends, and Revenue Forecast
Key Players Covered in the Report
Eli Lilly and Company; Sanofi; Novo Nordisk A/S; AstraZeneca
GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Market Segment
Trulicity segment is expected to constitute a key share of the market
Based on product, the GLP-1 receptor agonist market is segmented into Victoza, Ozempic, Trulicity, Bydureon, Saxenda, and Others. The trulicity segment is expected to constitute a key share of the market during the forecast period owing to increasing demand of product and high penetration of product in developing countries.
On the other hand, the ozempic segment is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to various benefits associated with product such as cardiovascular risk reduction, weight loss, and controlled HbA1C levels.
North America is anticipated to dominate the market
On the basis of regions, the GLP-1 receptor agonist market is classified as Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. North America is anticipated to dominate the market at an impressive CAGR during the forecast period. The regional market growth can be attributed to increased application of GLP-1 products and increased R&D expenditure by the government.
In the coming years, a well-established biopharmaceutical and pharmaceutical industry is expected to add to the region's dominance. On the other hand, Asia Pacific is expected to exhibit a rapid growth rate in the coming years owing to increasing prevalence of metabolic disorders such as diabetes and obesity in China and Australia, significant unexplored prospects, and increased R&D spending.
The global GLP-1 receptor agonist market has been segmented on the basis of
- Asia Pacific
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Key players competing in the GLP-1 receptor agonist market are Eli Lilly and Company; Sanofi; Novo Nordisk A/S; AstraZeneca.
Some of the business strategies adopted by the key players include as mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, capacity expansion, and product launches to increase/enhance their market shares.
- For example, in January 2020, Sanofi announced the acquisition of Synthorx, Inc. This acquisition will aid the firm in expanding its product line and generating revenue in the next years, owing to the extended genetic alphabet platform technology.