The North America agricultural films market size is estimated to expand at a considerable CAGR during the forecast period, 2021–2028. The growth of the market is attributed to the wide use of agricultural films across farming applications such as silage, mulching, greenhouse, and tunnels.
Agricultural films are used to safeguard the crops from pests, covering greenhouses, and cover over soil or wrapped around fodder. Films as are low-density Polyethylene (LDPE) or polyethylene (PE) plastic films are light in weight. The raw materials used for making the film covers are ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) or ethylene-butyl acrylate (EBA) copolymers, and linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) for mulching mulches. Silage bag is also one of the forms of agricultural film.
These films are used increasingly to preserve and nurture plant health by preventing water loss. The most important agricultural applications of plastic films are walk-in tunnel and low tunnel covers. Few of the key features of these agricultural films are durability, optical properties (visible, near infrared, and middle infrared), and the anti-drip or antifog effect.
Market Trends, Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities
- Product innovations, such as ultraviolet (UV) blocking, NIR blocking, florescent and ultra-thermic films are expected drive the market growth.
- Increasing agricultural output and rising demand from the dairy industry are projected to drive the agricultural films market.
- Improvement in the agricultural productivity to sustain the food demand of the expanding population is the main factor spurring the market growth.
- Shrinking agriculture land is anticipated to spur the market expansion in the coming years.
- Agricultural films help in improving the crop quality and increasing agricultural productivity, which is estimated to propel the market growth.
- Growing requirement of solutions that minimize soil erosion, provide nutrients, increase soil temperature, and suppress the growth of weeds drives the market growth.
- Rising number of recyclable or biodegradable plastics is projected to fuel the growth of the market. Use of biodegradable films in agriculture promotes sustainability and reduces soil contamination.
- The COVID -19 pandemic resulted in restrictions with respect to international trade and resulted in shortage of raw materials, which in turn, hampered the market growth.
- Improper disposal of plastics films clog water channels, entangles equipment, and creates hazards for livestock and wildlife. This factor can hinder the market growth.
- Increasing R&D investment and ongoing technological advancement in biodegradable films are expected to create immense opportunities for the market players during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
The report on the North America agricultural films market includes an assessment of the market, trends, segments, and regional markets. Overview and dynamics have also been included in the report.
Agricultural Films Market - North America Industry Analysis, Growth, Share, Size, Trends, and Forecast
Applications (Greenhouse, Silage, and Mulch), Types (Low-density Polyethylene, Linear Low-density Polyethylene, High-density Polyethylene, Ethyl Vinyl Acetate (EVA)/Ethylene Butyl Acrylate (EBA), Reclaims, and Others)
US, Canada, Mexico, and Rest of North America
Company Share, Market Analysis and Size, Competitive Landscape, Growth Factors, and Trends, and Revenue Forecast
Key Players Covered in the Report
Berry Plastics, ExxonMobil Chemical, Dow Chemical, and BASF SE.
North America Agricultural Films Market Segment Insights
Greenhouse segment is projected to account a major market share
On the basis of applications, the market is divided into greenhouse, silage, and mulch. The greenhouse segment is expected to constitute a key market share during the forecast period due to increasing floriculture & horticulture practices and uncertain climatic conditions. Greenhouse films help in improving the productivity of the soil.
Linear low-density polyethylene segment to expand at a rapid CAGR
In terms of types, the market is segmented into low-density polyethylene, linear low-density polyethylene, high-density polyethylene, ethyl vinyl acetate (EVA)/ethylene butyl acrylate (EBA), reclaims, and others. The linear low- density segment is anticipated to register a substantial CAGR during the forecast period owing to properties such as higher puncture resistance, high tensile strength, moisture barrier, resistance to sunlight & cracking, and suitable low-temperature properties.
The US is expected to dominate the market
On the basis of geographies, the market is categorized as US, Canada, Mexico, and Rest of North America. The US is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period. The regional market growth can be attributed to the adoption of advanced farming techniques. Shifting focus of consumers toward biodegradable films is anticipated to spur the market expansion in the country.
Segments Covered in the Report
The North America agricultural film market has been segmented on the basis of
- Low-density polyethylene
- Linear low-density polyethylene
- High-density polyethylene
- Ethyl Vinyl Acetate (EVA)/Ethylene Butyl Acrylate (EBA)
- Rest of North America
- Berry Plastics
- ExxonMobil Chemical
- Dow Chemical
- BASF SE
Key players competing in the North America agricultural films market include Berry Plastics, ExxonMobil Chemical, Dow Chemical, and BASF SE.