What is a Robotic Vacuum Cleaner?
A robotic vacuum cleaner refers to an autonomous robot integrated with an intelligent software program. It executes the function of a regular vacuum cleaner with minimal to no human intervention. As these cleaners are compact, they can easily access and clean spaces under beds, cabinets, and tables. They generate less noise as compared to their non-robotic counterparts and are fitted with sensors that prevent them from hitting other objects or falling down the stairs. These cleaners complete the chores in lesser time and at a lower cost without any manual labor, which are making them increasingly popular across commercial and residential sectors for cleaning windows, pools, lawns, and floors. It is an automated cleaning machine equipped with intelligent software programming, smart navigation system, adjustable suction power, and scheduling mechanism.
Adoption of robotic vacuum cleaners over the traditional cleaners is anticipated to surge as a result of several benefits such as cost-effectiveness in terms of human resources. A benefit of using a robotic vacuum cleaner is the quietness of its operation as compared to a regular vacuum cleaner. Also, it is more convenient to utilize because it can vacuum on their own. Robotic vacuum cleaner can be kept under beds or desks or in closets, whereas a regular vacuum cleaner needs more space.
Benefits of Robotic Vacuum Cleaners Market
- Robotic vacuum cleaners are automated cleaning equipment that enables users to clean the facility autonomously without human control.
- A few years back, robots were seen as a futuristic luxury. However, now, they make up around 20% of the global vacuum cleaners market. Robotic vacuum cleaners allow comparatively quick and easy cleaning of large spaces as compared to manual cleaning.
Since robotic vacuum cleaners do not need manual intervention for operations, they extensively reduce costs related to human resources and time needed for the cleaning process, thereby improving the overall efficiency of homeowners and business organizations.
Trends and Developments
- The global robotic vacuum cleaners market growth can be attributed to rising demand for artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT) enabled home appliances. According to research by Cisco, by 2021, automated home appliances is expected to represent around 46% of machine-to-machine connections.
- Robotic vacuum cleaners are home appliances that are AI-powered and fully automated. They need little to no human intervention and can be controlled remotely through voice recognition software. They are integrated with in-built navigation system, various types of sensors, and scheduling programs. Voice interaction and recognition are some of the most utilized features in robotic vacuum cleaners; for instance, iRobot’s Roomba i7+ is enabled with Amazon’s Alexa virtual assistant. These robots can manage household work by mopping the floors, enhancing security features of the house, and even serve as intercoms.
- Robotic vacuum cleaners are embedded with air filters that clean the air in the house. The global robotic vacuum cleaners market is poised to grow based on the afore-mentioned factor since increasing pollution levels have contaminated the air with particulate matter. This dirt-filled air leads to allergies and lung disorders in people, which has boosted the demand for air-filters globally. Robotic vacuums have high-efficiency filters such as high-efficiency particulate arrestant (HEPA), embedded into their bodies, which permanently remove harmful particles from the air. Such advanced features are projected to boost the adoption rate of this technology and augment the global robotic vacuum cleaners market growth.
Global Market Scenario for Robotic Vacuum Cleaners
According to a detailed report published by Growth Market Reports (GMR), the global robotic vacuum cleaners market was valued at USD 4,217.8 million in 2019 and is projected to reach USD 10,284.9 million by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 11.2% during the forecast period, 2020-2027.
COVID-19 Impact on the Market
The coronavirus pandemic has led to havoc across the globe. It had pressurized the manufacturing industry to come at a halt. However, the market is slowly recovering. Manufacturers are including technologies to make the overall system less dependent on humans. Besides this, the industries are seeking for local players to meet their requirements.
The outlook of impact can be divided under the following possible scenarios:
- According to the optimistic scenario, the global robotic vacuum cleaner market is anticipated to remain under the massive impact of COVID-19 in the first quarter of 2020, and from the second quarter, the demand is expected to rise.
- Under the probabilistic scenario, the market is expected to remain under the strong influence of the crisis until the second quarter, and from the third quarter onwards, the situation is expected to alleviate.
Based on types, the market is divided into floor vacuum cleaners, window vacuum cleaners, and pool vacuum cleaners. The floor vacuum cleaners segment accounted for a massive share of the market in 2019. The segment contributed over three-fourth of the global market value in the same year. Floor space expansion owing to the rising number of residential units and businesses is anticipated to drive demand for robotic floor vacuum cleaners throughout the forecast period.
In terms of applications the market is bifurcated into, household and commercial. The residential sectors are majorly focusing on adopting the automated products. With the utilization of robotic vacuum cleaner, a shift toward the smart home technology is observed, which bodes well for the global market. However, with the development of latest electronic technologies and their integration with traditional building technologies, the intelligent home is now becoming a real possibility and attraction to the consumers. All these factors are projected to drive the market growth of the household segment with a substantial CAGR during the forecast period.
In terms of regions, the market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Europe is a promising region for the market. It accounted for 33.5% share of the market in 2019. The market in the region is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 10.8% during the forecast period. Swift advancement in automation technologies in Japan and China is expected to push the market in Asia-Pacific region. North America is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities to market players attributing to larger houses and widespread use of carpets. The growing popularity of cordless vacuum cleaners in western European countries is expected to bolster the global robotic vacuum cleaners market in the region in the foreseeable future.
Competitive Landscape and Developments
Key players in the market include Dyson Ltd., iRobot Corporation, ILIFE Robotics Technology, Neato Robotics, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., Ecovacs Robotics, Hayward Industries Inc., Sharp Corporation, Panasonic Corporation, Pentair, Yujin Robot Co., Ltd, Metapo, Inc., Miele & Cie. KG, Koninklijke Philips N.V, and Maytronics Ltd.
The prominent players in the market are utilizing strategies such as product launches, mergers & acquisitions, and contracts & collaborations. These strategies are expected to deliver effective goods and high-performance goods, supporting market laws, and better client satisfaction.
- In January 2019, US-based iRobot Corp, a dominant player in the robotic vacuum cleaners market, declared its investment plans to enter into China market. The company provides Roomba robot vacuum cleaners and plans to invest more in research and development in China, as it wishes to grow its market in the country. The company rolled out a floor mopper tailor-made for the Chinese market in 2016 and established a commercial team at its Shanghai office to directly manage sales, marketing, and after-sales services, to be more responsive to the local market.
- Ecovacs Robotics is offering several models of robotic vacuum cleaners at competitive unit prices in on JD.com and tmall.com. Internet retailing, in addition to intense competition, has supported lower unit prices of robotic vacuum cleaners in China.
- In 2019, Johnson Control and Evotec entered into a partnership to enter the market in the UAE and rolled out the country’s first PaaS-based integrated AI platform to transform offices and operations and make them sustainable, streamlined, and next-generation workplaces. Evotec is a Middle East-based digital transformation company.