What is a Conveyer Belt?
A conveyor belt is the carrying medium of a conveyor belt system or a belt conveyor. A belt conveyor system is one of many fragment of conveyor systems. It majorly consists of two or more pulleys, sometimes called as drums, with a closed-loop carrying medium that rotates around them. One or both of the pulleys are powered, moving the belt along with the material on the belt in the forward direction. The powered pulley is known as the drive pulley while the unpowered pulley is referred to as an idler pulley. There are two major industrial classes of belt conveyors, which are general material handling used for moving boxes in the factory and bulk material handling used to transport large volumes of resources and agricultural materials, such as grain, salt, coal, ore, sand, and overburden.
Conveyors are durable and reliable components that are utilized in automated distribution and warehousing along with manufacturing and production facilities. In combination with computer-controlled pallet handling equipment, this the conveyer becomes more efficient for retail, wholesale, and manufacturing distribution. It is considered as a labor-saving system that enables large volumes to move rapidly and efficiently through a process, allowing companies to ship or receive massive volumes with smaller storage space and ultimately reduces the labor expense.
Why Conveyer Belts are Popular?
Conveyer belts are the most extensively utilized powered conveyors because they are highly versatile and inexpensive. Products are conveyed directly on the belt irrespective of the shapes successfully. Belt conveyors are also made with curved sections that utilize tapered rollers and curved belting to convey products around the corner. These conveyor systems are commonly employed in postal sorting offices and airport baggage handling systems. Apart from the aviation industry, growth in e-commerce is also bolstering the demand for conveyor belts. The belt is utilized in manufacturing units to boost the efficiency of production and to reduce manpower cost.
What is a Homogeneous Conveyer Belt?
A homogeneous conveyer belt is manufactured from homogenous thermoplastic elastomer (TPE). It is generally utilized to provide an excellent contact surface for raw, cooked, and frozen food items. These belts are sometimes designed to have textured nonstick or high-grip surfaces. Homogeneous conveyer belt reduces sanitation time by ensuring less changeover time between shifts and improving the overall production time. It also reduces maintenance, reduces water and chemical expenditures, and plummets electricity consumption. Generally, homogeneous conveyer belt is manufactured without any crevices or hinges. This is done in order to have a smooth & solid surface, so that it can become anti-bacterial.
Advantages of Homogeneous Conveyer Belt
- Homogeneous conveyor belts thermoplastic structure provides a superior conveyor solution that is more hygienic as compared to standard belt conveyors.
- It decreases bacterial harborage along with the chance of associated contamination incidents.
- Homogeneous conveyer belt has a non-porous/non-absorbent surface, which decreases the possibility of food allergen cross-contamination.
- These belts are lightweight, smooth, non-stick, quick-drying as compared to their counterparts. This helps in saving time and money when cleaning the belt between applications.
- Light weight and easy cleanability enables quick product changeover, which lowers operating costs while increasing productivity and profit.
- Homogenous conveyer belts have a life span of up to five times longer than standard belts.
- They provide a wide range of operating temperature range and are suitable for wet or oily products.
- Homogeneous belt type offers lower bacteria counts in direct contact with food that makes it an optimum choice in most hygienic food applications.
Projected Scenario for Global Homogeneous Conveyor Belt Market
According to a detailed report by GMR, the global homogenous conveyor belt market was valued at around USD 2,279.5 million in 2019 and is expanding at a CAGR of about 4.5% during the forecast period, 2020-2027.
The market is majorly driven by factors such as rise in the utilization of homogenous conveyor belts in food applications, growing industrial demand activities in developing economies, and rising demand for automation in several industries. Rising R&D investments and the growing e-commerce industry are expected to bolster the market in the future. However, high maintenance & service costs and limited use of homogenous conveyor belts are key restraints of this market.
On the basis of types, the global homogenous conveyor belt market is segmented into thermoplastic polyester elastomer (TPE), thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and others. The thermoplastic polyester elastomer segment accounted for a substantial share of the market in 2019 due to rising demand from several industries. However, the thermoplastic polyurethane segment is projected to expand at a substantial CAGR during the forecast period. This can be attributed to its capabilities of withstanding extreme temperatures without warping and melting, which is ideal for the food & beverage industry.
Based on applications, the market is divided into the food & beverage industry, automotive industry, chemical industry, agricultural industry, packaging industry, and others. The food & beverage industry segment is projected to constitute a lucrative share of the market in the coming years, as homogenous conveyor belts are considered to be one of the safest and cleanest types of conveyor belts in the food industry.
In terms of regions, the global homogenous conveyor belt market is fragmented into Asia Pacific, North America, Latin America, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific is a lucrative region for the market. The region accounted for a substantial share of the market in 2019. The market in the region is projected to expand at an impressive CAGR during the forecast period. The demand for homogenous conveyor belts is expected to rise in Asia Pacific owing to the rapid urbanization and growth in the industrialization sector.
Latest Market Trends
- TPE has properties of conventional thermoplastic and rubber. Its elastic recovery and flexibility property are similar to that of rubber; however, its processability is much better as compared to rubber. Moreover, it provides UV stability, weather resistance, heat resistance, and mechanical properties, which are far better than conventional rubber. Therefore, TPE is preferred in several industries such as textiles, food & beverage, and heavy-duty metal transfers.
- The use of TPU in the homogenous conveyor belt is increasing, as it is environment-friendly, fully recyclable, and biodegradable, which is an ideal alternative for PVC and other polymers. Moreover, the use of TPU in conveyor belts is increasing, as it can withstand extreme temperatures without warping and melting.
Major Market Players & Competitive Landscape
Major competitors operating in the global homogenous conveyor belt market include Ammeraal Beltech, Chiorino S.p.A., ContiTech AG, Esbelt, Forbo Movement Systems, Habasit, Intralox, Mafdel, MEGADYNE S.P.A, NITTA Corporation, REVEYRON SAS, Sparks Belting, Volta Belting, and Yong li.
The prominent players in the market are utilizing strategies such as product launches, mergers & acquisitions, and contracts & collaborations. These strategies are expected to deliver effective goods and high-performance goods, supporting market laws, and better client satisfaction.
- In 2020, Sparks Belting offered its punctual service to a major cheese processing plant in the dairy state of Wisconsin. The company did that by using an unconventional shipping method and helped the dairy plant to get back up and running in Wisconsin.
- In 2020, REVEYRON SAS rolled out a range of PU flights that were part of its latest fabric reinforced polyurethane cleats. The wide base of the cleat enables a strong welding joint, which leads to great resilience and rigidity. These cleats are expected to offer lucrative opportunities for severe mechanical applications.